News Detail


May, 2020

June 1 probable start to season?

                           Delaware has decreed that baseball practices can start when Phase 1 of reopening starts, probably on June 1.  It's not clear when games will follow, but we would plan to keep playing at least until the end of July.  All-stars may follow in August.  District 2 has a meeting to decide on May 26.  Midway feels confident that we can run safe practices - keeping players 6 feet apart, coaches wearing masks, etc.  Jackie Berta has sent an email to all players (Capitol did the same to their players) to determine who still wants to play.  Players should reply to Jackie by May 25 so we can find out who still wants to play.  Here's the letter:

Hello Midway families

The District has given us the go ahead to start practicing on June  1st.   However, we cannot yet hold any  games or scrimmages, ONLY practices with your individual team.   Please understand that this doesn't mean that we will have a season.  They have NOT given us the go ahead to play games.  We do not know when that will be if at all. 
At this time we are awaiting additional guidance from our District Administrator on how we could safely conduct practices.    We expect that to include at minimum the following:

- The dugouts and the bleachers will be off limits.  - Parents will be asked to spread out on the outside of the outfield fences. 
-The kids will stay on the outside of the fence along the first or third base sides spacing them out along the fence when they are not on the field
-Coaches will wear masks

This will be a learning curve.  Everything sounds good on paper, but when you try to implement it we may need to make some changes.   

Before we can start practicing we need to know who is still interested in playing.  Depending on how many kids still want to play, we may need to make adjustments to the already existing teams.   
Please review and let us know by MONDAY, MAY 25 whether your child(ren) is available to play this season.

If you choose to NOT play this season, we are offering a few options:

1.  You can choose to rollover your registration fee for the 2021 season.  We have no idea what is going to happen next season but if we have to increase the registration fee, you will be grandfathered in and will not owe any additional money.

2.  If you choose to have a refund issued, we will return your fee minus 15% per family.  We have already incurred over $16,000 in expenses this season--new scoreboard on the Majors field, repairs to the Minor B and Minor A dugouts, painting the Minor A dugouts, field maintenance on all 5 fields, etc.  For the Juniors and Seniors, if you want a refund, we will return 100% of the umpire fee.  If you paid with a credit card, the return fee will be added back onto your credit card.  If you paid by cash or check, the League will mail you a check.

Please understand that holding back any money from our families was not a decision we took lightly.   However, our league is a non-profit organization that has year round continuing expenses that must be paid.

Local Sponsors